If not for the large M-60 military tank situated at its southern tip, this park would go unnoticed to a traveler, and perhaps to even a local passer-by. Sadly, many residents know it only as "the park with the tank", yet this tiny piece of land represents a huge part of Lebanon County history. It has over the years become a place of remembrance, and a place to honor the 460 men from Lebanon County, Pennsylvania who gave their lives in times of war in the twentieth century. It is a place to remember and honor veterans everywhere, from all times and wars.
Commonly known today as "Fisher Park", this small park, measuring 590' x 288' x 363' or slightly less than an acre, is owned and maintained by the City of Lebanon, Pennsylvania. Listed as "Soldier's Memorial Park", and also referred to as "City Memorial Park", it was purchased by the City of Lebanon on Apr. 10, 1923 from partners Greiner and Knowlen.
Shaded by many tall trees all around the park it was a popular site for residents to picnic and play, or just relax on the many benches once located throughout the park.
The five service flags and the POW/MIA flag are raised at the "Vietnam Veterans Memorial" for each of the patriotic holidays and special occasions.
All the Memorials are adorned at various times with flowers, wreaths and other honorariums.The City of Lebanon also raises flags for the patriotic holidays along the park's East and West walkways.
The acquisition history of the park dates back to, but is not limited to, the mid 1800's.
The lot, then commonly called the "Raybuck Lot", owned by Dr. John Gloninger and his wife Catherine, was transferred on Mar. 6, 1854 to the North Lebanon Railroad. The Cornwall Railroad then acquired title to the property when they absorbed the North Lebanon Railroad in the latter 1800's. The Greiner and Knowlen partners purchased the lot from the Cornwall Railroad on Jan. 22, 1920.
There is mention of the "Adam Rise Lot", so is assumed that the current lot was formed from both the "Raybuck and Adam Rise" parcels.
The title "Fisher Park" seems to have originated from a City Councilman, James E. Fisher, who arranged the acquisition of the property in 1923. Mr. Fisher was the first Superintendent of Parks and Public Properties.
In March, 2007 the "Project Welcome Home" Committee presented a proposal to the Lebanon Veterans Advisory Council, Mayor Robert Anspach and Lebanon City Council to have the name of Fisher Park changed to Fisher Memorial Park. The committee gathered more than 600 signatures from Lebanon County residents in support of the proposal. In October, 2008 a resolution was passed by Lebanon City Council to change the name of Fisher Park to "Fisher Veterans Park" and was officially announced at the 2008 Veterans Day Ceremony at the park.
Poor Is The Nation Which Has No Heroes
Shameful Is The Nation Which Has Them