Historic Information
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

"This history of Lebanon has been prepared with the hope that it will offer some
enlightenment to present and future generations concerning the hardships and splendid
accomplishments of our forefathers, whose work has made it possible for us to have the
bountiful advantages which we enjoy today; and with the trust that this record of their success
will serve to stimulate us to greater achievements."


"Scotch-Irish settlers were probably here before 1720, but the principal settlers of Lebanon and environs came here in 1723 from the Schoharie Valley in N. Y. State. Following these early settlers came successive waves of Swiss and French Huguenots, along with many Germans of the Mennonite, Dunker, Reformed and Lutheran Faiths. Before that time, the Indians dwelt in the beautiful Valley, which abounded in deer and other game. However, the Indians actually held title to all the land within the limits of Lebanon County until 1732. On September 7 of that year the chiefs and sachems of the Delaware's made a treaty with the whites ( through Governor Patrick Gordon ) by which they disposed of all land in Pennsylvania lying between the Delaware and Susquehanna Rivers and south of the Blue Mountains, not previously purchased. This plot included what is now known as Lebanon County. The Indians gave up the land of their own free will, and for it received brass kettles, blankets, guns, shirts, flints, tobacco, rum. and many trinkets in which their simple hearts delighted."

"In 1723, fifteen families of Germans came to the present Lebanon County and Berks region. About 1725 Balzer Orth and his boys, Balthazer (aged 11) and Adam (aged 7), were among those residing here. In August, 1729, Michael Burst arrived and squatted two miles northwest of the present city of Lebanon. When George Steitz arrived he located southeast of Burst on the Quittapahilla. From 1725 to 1735 there was another great influx of Germans of varied religious opinions. Because of their industry and thrift. combined with the goodness of the soil. Pennsylvania forged ahead in agriculture, with exportation of farm products to keep pace with the increasing population."

"Gala indeed was the year 1731 in the history of the wilderness colony, for that marked the performance of the first marriage ceremony. The contracting parties were George Reynolds and Eleanor Steitz, daughter of George. The rite was performed by the Rev. John Caspar Stoever, the first Lutheran Minister to come to Lebanon."

"It is to George Steitz that credit is given for the laying out of the present city of Lebanon during the decade 1740-1750. It is recorded that Steitz and Francis Reynolds took out warrants for adjoining tracts of land in what was then Lebanon Township -- a part of Lancaster County. After the death of George Reynolds in 1762, his land fell into the possession of George Steitz, and with these he ( Steitz ) laid out additional lots. The town originally had been made for the township but for many years it was called Steitztown or Steitza, after the fashion of calling a town for the proprietor."

"The town grew. About 1756 there were over 200 homes, and during the perilous years of 1750 to '60 Lebanon was a refuge for those families driven from their frontier homes by the savages. As many as 60 families took refuge in the house of John Light at one time. On March 28, 1799, Lebanon became a borough, but the first election was not held until the first Monday in May, 1821. At this election, held by Leonard Greenawalt and Philip Huber, commissioners, the following officers were elected: Chief Burgess, Jacob Goodhart; assistant burgess. Jacob Arndt; councilmen, John Nagel, Conrad Fasnacht, Jacob Light, Adam Ritscher, Leonard Greenawalt, John Uhler; high constable, Rudolph Kelker. The election was held 22 years later for the reason that the people never accepted the provisions of the Act of 1799, and so it remained dead, until February 20, 1821, when a new Act was passed repealing the first act and creating anew the borough of Lebanon with a charter of more ample powers than the previous Act."

"That year (1821) Lebanon contained 300 dwellings, 10 taverns, 10 stores, 1 grist mill, 1 clover mill, a foundry, and many mechanic shops. The original Market House stood on the south side of Ninth street."

"During the prosperous years of 1751 to 52 a much-needed improvement, a road to Lancaster. was begun. The road is now Ninth street. Conrad Weiser was busy arranging affairs with the friendly Indians and with the settlers on the basis of an alliance against the French and the hostile tribes threatening Pennsylvania. But in 1755, the entire region was startled by the news of Braddock's defeat at Fort Duquesne. On a black day, October 16th, 1755, the sad news came that more than 20 persons had been killed by Indians in this territory."

"On June 26, 1756, while four young men of the Bethel Congregation were plowing near Swatara Gap, they were attacked by a band of hostile Indians and cruelly murdered. Scouting parties were organized and in the autumn of 1756 an actual skirmish with Indians was fought two miles northeast of Hebron Church. According to the historians of the times, about 150 white people were the victims of these raids. Following the French and Indian War, came the Revolutionary War, at the end of which America declared her independence, and in which theatre of war Lebanonians played a vital role.

"After the Boston Tea Party, December 16, 1773, little Lebanon, despite some hanging back on the part of other residents of Pennsylvania, was one of the first to respond to the appeal of the city of Boston and to send contributions to those who were suffering for the cause of liberty. On Saturday, June 25, 1774, the inhabitants of Lebanon and adjoining townships met at the inn of Captain Philip Greenawalt to consider the state of public affairs. Elected as leaders were Major John Philip DeHaas, President; and John Light, Secretary. At this meeting the group declared unanimously:

"1. That the late act of the British Parliament by which the port of Boston is shut up is an act of oppression to the people of that city and subversive of the rights of the inhabitants of America."

"2. That while we profess to be loyal subjects of Great Britain we shall not admit to unjust and iniquitous laws as we are not slaves but freemen."

"3. That we unite with the inhabitants of other portions of our country in such measure as will preserve us our rights and our liberties."

"A committee was appointed to collect contributions for the Bostonians. Philip Greenawalt, Thomas Clark, Michael Ley, Kellian Long, and Curtis Grubb, committeemen, sent flour and other supplies to Philadelphia where it was forwarded with other contributions to Boston. By May 10, 1775, all males between the ages of 15 and 50 had their names enrolled for military purposes. Two companies had been organized under the leadership of DeHaas. By the fall of '75, Greenawalt formed a battalion with Philip Marsteller as Lt. Col.; Caspar Stoever, Capt. of 1st Co.; Philip Weiser, Capt. of 3rd Co.; Leonard Immel, Capt. of 6th Co.; John Gossert, 2nd Lt. of 7th Co.; John Rewalt, of 9th Co.; and George Frank, Ensign of 8th Co. In the spring of '76, Peter Grubb, Jr., organized a company and went with Col. Miles' battalion, participating in the disastrous battle of Long Island, where the Pennsylvania Germans forever covered themselves with star-spangled glory."

"In December of 1776, 1,000 Hessian prisoners with many Tories passed through Lebanon on their way to Reading. By the end of August, 340 Hessian prisoners arrived in Lebanon in charge of Col. Grubb and most of them were kept in the Moravian Church at Hebron, much to the disgust of the pastor. Arrangements had been made to move them to a log church in Lebanon, but since that log church (Old Salem) was to be used for a powder-magazine, at the Moravian church they remained."

"Lebanon's role in the Revolution was an important one, since it was a depot of supplies, and a storehouse for ammunition during the occupancy of Philadelphia by the British. It was during the Revolution that the furnaces at Cornwall supplied large quantities of iron for cannon and balls. The inhabitants not only volunteered in service but also contributed flour and meat, clothing and leather, and hauled it to Valley Forge during the terrible winter of '77 and '78. Families participating in this were the Earlys, Henrys, Kreiders, Millers, Meilys, Immels, Orths, Schaeffers, and others."

"Despite the war, however, the town continued to grow. It was just before the War that the first fire company was organized, July 17, '73. George Hoke was elected the first president, and at the close of the War (February 22, 1780) the Union Fire Company organized with Judge Philip Gloninger as president. The first fire company was known as the Cedar Fire Company and was formed with 48 persons subscribing."

"Through storm and strife the people marched. Today on the brink of another World War, it shall be remembered that Lebanon served well in the War of 1812, the Mexican War, the Civil War, the Spanish-American War, and the World War I."

"Lebanon history was written during the War between the States, and it is one of the brightest pages, bloody to be sure, but honorable, woven into the fabric which makes a good town great. No county remaining loyal to the Union was represented in a greater number of organizations than Lebanon County. One regiment was almost entirely from this county while other companies served in artillery, infantry, and cavalry. They saw it all -- from the dawn of the fight at Bull Run to the downfall of the Confederacy at Appomattox."

"The first war meeting was held in the Courthouse, April 18, 1861, six days after the firing on Fort Sumter. The meeting was called to order by David M. Karmany, presided over by Charles B. Forney, with patriotic resolutions reported by a committee of which Dr. Cyrus D. Gloninger was chairman. Fiery and enthusiastic was the address delivered by the Rev. J. M. McCarter. An immediate subscription of $3,365.00 was raised on the spot and 61 men volunteered immediately. These 61 formed the nucleus of Capt. John Ulrich's company named "The Lebanon Guards." Soon after the departure of that company, the Lebanon Cadets were raised by William M. Derr and immediately accepted by the Governor, but because of many of immature age enlisting, the acceptance was withdrawn. Capt. Elijah G. Lantz soon started the recruiting of the first company of "3 years men'' and was accepted in service May 17, the company leaving for camp May 26. General John Weidman recruited also a Cavalry Company and by August 29th they were ready for service going to Camp Curtin, Harrisburg, and from there to Washington."

"On August 24, first steps were taken to organize a Lebanon County regiment, eventuated in the bullet-riddled 93rd Regiment. The first meeting of this organization was presided over by Dr. John W. Gloninger. A camp was established on the east side of 8th street, a short distance north of the railroad, at what was then known as the Fair Ground, now partially taken by Monument Park. Recruits poured in rapidly, and the following regimental staff was elected: Captains William M. Derr, John E. Arthur, William C. Murray, John M. Mark, G. B. Shearer, John S. Long, Ac. Maitland, Joseph E. Ramsey, D. J. Soynton, and Eli Dougherty."

"George Dawson Coleman (an outstanding iron master of the region ) presented to the 93rd Regiment their colors and gave them a talk before they left for camp. After the War, the Regiment returned the flag to Mr. Coleman. He had it encased and hung it reverently in his own dining room. When Miss Fannie Coleman (last survivor of the family) died, the flag was bequeathed to the Lebanon County Historical Society where many go to see it. G. D. Coleman also purchased part of the Fair Grounds property and bequeathed it to the County of Lebanon to be preserved as a memorial to the soldiers in service ( Memorial Park ) ."

"The Ladies Aid Society in Lebanon shipped equipment, boxes and barrels of provisions and clothing. In 1864 over a half-million dollars was expended in the county in bounty and relief."

"The most momentous period for Lebanon Valley during the War was in June 1863 when the Confederates penetrated into Pennsylvania and the great battle of Gettysburg was impending. The Rebels advanced through York -- threatening Harrisburg. Consternation was so great that a number of Lebanon merchants packed their goods, shipped their money to New York, closed their stores, and suspended their business. On call from the Governor, however, Lebanon soon organized another company under the command of Capt. John B. Embich. Lebanon county casualty lists were heart-breakingly large."

"The Spanish-American War offered another occasion for our county to demonstrate its loyalty and devotion to the cause of liberty, and the contributions of Lebanon in men and materials were meritorius."

"When the United States entered the World War Co. H, 4th Regiment, National Guard of Pennsylvania which originated from an independent organization known as the "Lebanon Rifles," was entered into the service as Co. D, 109th Machine Gun Battalion. They became well-drilled and disciplined, and under the command of Capt. Harry D. Case they left September 10, 1917, for Camp Hancock, Augusta, Georgia, where it was rearranged into a machine gun detachment and underwent training under English instructors. On April 30, 1918, they broke camp and sailed on the Aquitania for France, May 7th.

"In July, 1917, another Lebanon County organization was formed, Co. B, 103rd Ammunition Train. Both companies saw active service in the front-line trenches."

"Gloom, they say, precedes the sunshine and so this review chose to tell the side which has to do with death, with war, with bloodshed, with tragedy -- but covered with honor, glory, and victory. In the meantime, the city grew. Transportation, commerce, industries, schools, culture grew with it. Let us turn to these and open another notable page in the Book of Lebanon."

"It was in the year 1886 that Lebanon was organized into a third-class city and the first elected officers were: Mayor, Isaac Hoffer; controller, William Goodyear; treasurer, Major H. P. Moyer."

"Prosperity for the beautiful Valley of Lebanon was inevitable for the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania is justly entitled to the credit of having directed public attention to canals and turnpikes in the United States. In 1792 David Rittenhouse, astronomer, and Dr. William Smith, provost of the University of Pennsylvania, surveyed a route for a canal to connect the waters of the Susquehanna and Schuylkill Rivers by means of the Swatara and Tulpehocken Creeks."

"The Union Canal which accomplished this object passed over this route. Work was commenced on the lands lying between Lebanon and Myerstown in 1794 but work was suspended due to lack of funds. However, in 1821, after raising additional subscriptions and relocating the line for the canal the work was resumed."

"The canal joined the waters of the Susquehanna at Middletown -- below Harrisburg and the Schuylkill above Reading. During the course of its construction they encountered Gravel Hill (about two miles northwest of Lebanon) and for six years they had to bore with ordinary black gunpowder through solid rock -- a distance of 729 feet -- resulting in what is now considered the oldest tunnel in the United States. Completion of the tunnel marked completion of the Canal and on June 12, 1827, the first boat "The Alpha," built at Tulpehocken ( now Myerstown ) passed through."

"The Canal was 79 miles long and cost 6 million dollars. Simeon Guilford, (whose granddaughters today reside at Ninth and Walnut streets, Lebanon,) superintendent of construction, was the first man to discover (near Strasburg in Berks County) a clay which could be utilized to seal the cracks in the bottom of the canal to make it watertight. This saved much expense and the clay became widely used in construction of all canals thereafter."

"Mr. Guilford was one of the old Lebanon's most distinguished citizens and was an active figure in politics. It is said in the historical annals of the county that when General William Henry Harrison was campaigning for the Presidency he was met at Myerstown by Mr. Guilford who escorted his eminent visitor to Lebanon."

"About 1750, the first road connecting Lancaster and Cornwall and passing through Lebanon was built. This was used to bring supplies to Cornwall and Lebanon, and after the Canal was completed it was used to transport iron ore from Cornwall to the Canal at Light's Landing (now Tenth street).

"However, the heavy traffic was too much for the road, especially in rainy weather, so in 1852 the Cornwall Plank Road was built, unique in that the planking was laid in a double track for over five miles. These planks were replaced gradually by "piking" and the road later became known as The Cornwall Turnpike. In 1803 the Downingtown, Ephrata, and Harrisburg Turnpike ( the "Horseshoe Pike") crossing the southern part of the county was begun and completed in 1819. In 1816 the Berks and Dauphin County Turnpike (connecting Harrisburg and Reading) was commenced and finished the next year. It passed through the center of the Lebanon Valley and cost an average $3800 a mile!"

"Travel on the Turnpike established the small villages usually five miles apart (for watering) and the larger towns usually 25 miles apart (overnight stops) -- between Philadelphia and Harrisburg."

"Prosperity received another mighty pat on the back when the railroad came to town -- bringing the peoples of a great nation ever closer and closer to each other. The first railroad to pass through Lebanon County was the Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad. The Philadelphia and Reading was a pioneer railroad in Pennsylvania and in 1858 the 54 mile Lebanon Valley Railroad from Harrisburg to Reading came under control of the Philadelphia and Reading Railroad Company (P. and R.) and became extensively improved. The increased facilities for transportation proved a great impetus to the growth and development of Lebanon."

"With the improvement in transportation came improvements and innovations in the industry and commerce of the area. Today people from all over the United States and foreign countries come to view the Cornwall Furnace and ore banks, perhaps Lebanon County's most famous industry."

"The Cornwall Furnace was the first furnace in Lebanon County. It was located on Furnace Creek in Lebanon County (a few miles south of the borough of Lebanon) and was built in 1742 by Peter Grubb whose descendants were also distinguished ironmasters. The ore mine was rich and abundant -- more than 40 feet deep -- and the ore sometimes was mixed with copper and sulphur. The pig iron was carried to the Susquehanna River, thence to Maryland, thence to England. The workmen were English and Irish, with a few Germans, and a few negro slaves. The work was based on the English method."

"The Cornwall ore-banks are not surpassed even by the famous iron mountains in Missouri. They are situated at the foot of the northern slope of the South Mountain -- five miles south of Lebanon. At one time the banks were the most valuable and remarkable body of iron ore in the world. The famous charcoal furnace supplied the iron trade with a brand of iron ranked among the best. These were the furnaces which supplied iron for cannon and ball for Washington's Army."

"Little marked advancement was made in the iron industry from the end of the 18th century to the middle of the 19th century, at which time the successful use of anthracite coal induced the Coleman Brothers to erect the Lebanon Furnaces on the Union Canal."

"Prior to 1836, charcoal had been the only fuel. The use of anthracite coal revolutionized the iron business and several other foundries were started. With the proximity of iron ore and coal and improved transportation, not only did the iron industry forge ahead but the boom took with it many other allied industries and also industries not directly connected with iron supplies. Some of the businesses which arose were: stove works, boiler and machine works, planing mills, door and sash mills, rolling mills, carpets, boots and shoes, woolens, hats, and even organs."

"A study of the industry and commerce of the region might include a word or two on "public utilities." Years ago, of course, there were few water companies, no electric light plants, no telephone or gas companies. Water, in the early days, was carried from the village pump.

"The first public water works in the Lebanon Valley and perhaps in the United States were those at Schaefferstown, which were constructed, it is believed, before 1750. The water is brought from a spring located at about the middle of the northern slope of Tower Hill, by underground pipes to Market street, then along Market street, north to the northwest corner of Market square. Two fountains, some distance from one another, are placed there."

"Public water works were established in Lebanon September 15, 1872. Folks from near and far came to celebrate the day on which the water was turned on. The "Perse" Band crowned the occasion with sweet sounds. However, all was not hose and spigots in those days, for the hydrants froze in winter! The dams leaked! In summer-time the supply was low! The new system left much to be desired, but it was much better, at that, than running to the pump on wash and bath days. Today Lebanon has one of the finest water-supply systems in the state."

"Mention of Tower Hill reminds the historian of a little-known settlement in the confines of the county. Certainly among the first settlers on what is now Lebanon County soil were members of a Jewish Colony who came to trade with the Indians and occupied what was known as Tower Hill, or Main Street of Canada South of Schaefferstown, about 1720. The colony came from Lancaster and were Spanish refugees. The colony existed until about 1741. The only recollection of it is the Jewish cemetery on the south slope of Fountain Park. Up to 50 years ago there were a few tombstones on the surface of the ground, now plowed and cultivated."

"What of the education of these early settlers? You may be sure that a thrifty, industrious, and intelligent people would not neglect the education of the coming generations. The first schools, of course, were church schools, for in those days the church was the very heart of communal life. Religious, civic, educational, and social problems were discussed in the church. The first schools were erected out of crude logs on land near the church. The teacher and his family resided on the first story, and it was on the second story that classes were held. The second floor was reached by means of an outside stairway. In 1747, the first schoolhouse in Lebanon County was started in what is now North Annville Township and was the joint work of the Reformed and Lutheran Churches. These church schools gave way in time to subscription schools. In Lebanon, the first school was opened in 1766.

"Following the War of 1812 there was a wave of prosperity and between 1820 and the beginning of the public schools in 1840, many private schools sprang into existence. Lebanon County was separated from Lancaster County in 1813, and Lebanon was made the County seat. In 1823, the Lebanon Academy was built and "provided a high type of education for boys." Beyond elementary school, there were no means of higher education for girls in those early days; so in 1838 a charter was granted by the state for the formation of "Lebanon's Female Seminary.""

"In 1852, after the free school movement was well under way, there were six male and five female schools in Lebanon. In 1867, when Lebanon and north Lebanon were consolidated, the Lindley Murray Building was erected, costing $33,000. The citizens then decided upon a "select school" or high school which was erected at a cost of more than $21,000. There were separate entrances for the boys and girls, and though recitations were given together, during assembly and study periods, they were to be separated by a glass partition!"

"It was a gala day in the history of the city when the first High School commencement, under the free school system, was held in 1873, with Robert Buck, John Meily, and Howard Shirk, all deceased, as members of the first graduation class."

"There is some doubt among local historians about the first newspaper in the Valley, but one fact is clear -- the settlers felt the need for a newspaper, and with-the growth of education, came the growth of the free press. Records show that the first paper was established in 1807, a weekly, published in German. However, one historian states the name as "Der Wahrer Demokrat" and another says its was "Der Freie Libanoner" published by Jacob Schnee. A tale is told of the Schnee publication, about an "ad" which stated that Adam Heilman would pay high prices for clean rags for his paper mill, four miles from Lebanon. The first paper to be published in English was "The Lebanon Courier' founded by George Hanke in 1819. It, too, was a weekly. Lebanon's first daily paper was "The News'' founded in 1872."

"Immigrants to the Valley were religious folk and hardly had they arrived when they began to speak of their need for a church. As the outcome of a public meeting called at Zeller's Fort in 1727, German immigrants came from within a radius of 20 miles to consider the problem. The result was the erection of a log church and school-house, called the Rieth School-house. Its pulpit was the stump of a tree; the benches were logs with hewn sides, but to those people the soul of God was there, for they were free to worship as they pleased."

"In due time the "Berg" or Hill Church came into existence through the efforts of the Rev. John Caspar Stoever, who had come to America in 1731. This church, it is said, was "the earliest ecclesiastical organization" in the vicinity, and "mother of all the Lutheran Churches." Often when the settlers came to worship on a cold Sunday morning, they built a fire on the outside around which they sat to warm themselves before going inside, for in the Church there was no stove. Everyone was armed against marauding Indians, and placed their guns in a specially provided rack during services."

"From 1740 to 1754 the Moravian Church was the leading organization in the Valley. The year 1766, however, was momentous in Lebanon annals for it was then that the first Salem Evangelical Lutheran Church, a log structure, was erected -- the first church and the first school-house in the city of Lebanon. Its bell, cast in London in 1770, rang out the joyous news of the signing of the Declaration of Independence in later years. Its first regular pastor, Frederick Augustus Conrad Muhlenberg, was President of the Convention which adopted the Constitution of the United States. He was also speaker of the first House of Representatives."

"Tabor or the First Reformed Church of Lebanon was dedicated in July, 1762. Today Lebanon has fine churches of many denominations, telling to all the world that freemen of all religious creeds can worship side by side in different fashion -- with the benign and all-seeing wisdom of the great Maker bestowing His blessing upon them all."

"Lebanon County was outstanding, too, in Pennsylvania politics, and contributed one Governor, John Andrew Schulze. The history of his career is told in "Old Salem in Lebanon'' by the late Theodore E. Schmauk, published in 1898. "Of all the prominent Lutherans in Lebanon," said Dr. Schmauk, "there was none who attained the distinction which was enjoyed by John Andrew Schulze. Johann Andreas Melchior Schulze was born in the Lutheran parsonage at Christ Church, Tulpehocken, July 19, 1775. Rev. Drs. Muhlenberg and Kunze stood for him at his baptism. He studied for the ministry with his uncle, Dr. Kunze in New York, and was ordained in 1800."

""From 1796 on he was a licensed member of the Lutheran Synod, and became an esteemed pastor of congregations in Berks County for six years. In 1802 rheumatic affliction disabled him and obliged him to relinquish the ministry. In 1806 he was elected a member of the Legislature. In 1813 Governor Snyder appointed him Surveyor General of the State, and then gave him the positions of Register, Recorder, Prothonotary, Clerk of the Orphans' Court, and Clerk in the Sessions Court of Lebanon County. In October, 1821, he was chosen to represent Lebanon County in the House of Representatives. In 1822 he became State Senator and in 1823 he was elected Governor by a majority of over 25,000. In 1826 he was re-elected by the greatest majority ever cast for a Governor in the State of Pennsylvania. He received 72,000 votes while his antagonist got about 1,000." (It is said in another chronicle that his opponent did not receive one vote in Lebanon County. )"

""In his Gubernatorial office," continued Dr. Schmauk, "he distinguished himself for large views, great prudence, good judgment, and the appointment of honest officials. He resided at 11 N. Ninth street. He attended services in the Salem Church and the Communion Record still bears his name together with that of his wife to show that on May 13, 1823, on Whitsunday, shortly after his election as Governor he received communion there. Four days later, May 17th, his son, Augustus, was confirmed in the Salem Church.""

"Lebanon successively supported the political policies of Andrew Jackson, the Whig Party, the Anti-Masonics, the Know-Nothing or American Party, and the Lincoln Party."

"Famous visitors to Lebanon included General George Washington, Robert Morris, and David Rittenhouse who, in 1792, came to this section while on an inspection tour of the Canal. It is said that Washington visited the valley upon two other occasions: in 1793, in Myerstown, as the guest of Col. Michael Ley, to inspect the canal which was in process of construction: and in 1794, when he passed through the valley on his way to western Pennsylvania at the time of the Whiskey Insurrection."

"Another famous visitor was President Martin Van Buren who, in June 1839, visited the Lebanon Valley on his way from Harrisburg to Easton. He stopped in Annville and Lebanon."

"James Buchanan frequently visited Lebanon and was well-known as a practising attorney in the local courts. During the campaign of 1856, the Republicans had charged that unnaturalized Irishmen had been placed on the assessors' lists in Jackson and other townships. These men were employed by the Lebanon Valley branch of the P. and R. Railroad Company. The Democrats. however, denied the charge, stating that the 50 Irishmen who voted were naturalized. However Buchanan won the presidential contest and in December the Democrats celebrated the election by holding a large jubilee ox-roast at which the president-elect was the guest of honor."

"General Ulysses S. Grant visited Lebanon on several occasions always as the guest of the Hon. George Dawson Coleman. One of these visits is described in full in "The Lebanon Advertiser." (April 5, 1873.) Dr. H. H. Shenk, in his book, "A History of the Lebanon Valley" quotes it as follows: "President Ulysses S. Grant arrived in Lebanon at 3 o'clock, P. M., on Saturday in the New York train, accompanied by his wife and daughter, Nellie, and General Babcock. They were received at the depot by the Hon. George Dawson Coleman and driven in carriages to his residence. In the evening quite a number of our citizens called to see him, and owing to a severe rain-storm the members of the Liberty Fire Company, Coleman Guards, and the Washington Zouaves were prevented to pay their respects to the President and party. The President expressed a wish to see our industrial works and he was gratified by a look at the Donaghmore Furnace, Van de Sande and Evans' Forge and Rolling Mills, Light Bros. Rolling Mills, Weimer Machine Works, Lebanon Manufacturing Company's Works, Lebanon Paper Mills, etc.""

"President Rutherford B. Hayes, with a majority of the members of his cabinet including Evarts and Sherman visited in the valley probably in 1878."

"In an excellent chronology listed in Dr. Shenks's book, some interesting facts are brought to light. Here is a "sample:""

"1740 -- George Steitz laid out town lots on farm."

"1755 -- Regina, German girl living "back of Tulpehocken" taken captive by Indians."

"1759 -- Citizens of Lebanon petitioned Governor Denny to permit sale of lottery tickets for benefit of school to be taught by Charles Cornelius Raboteau."

"1782 -- Great drought in the Lebanon Valley."

"1816 -- Jan. 17 -- Lawrence Ibach, astronomer of Newmanstown, born at Allentown."

"1817 -- Godlove S. Orth. future United States minister of Austria, born near Lebanon."

"1819 -- Dr. Adolph Blumeran, Regimental Surgeon under Emperor Napoleon Bonaparte, opened office in Annville."

"1822 -- Wheat sold for 60 cents, rye for 30 cents, and oats for 20 cents a bushel in the Lebanon Valley."

"1824 -- General Lafayette was the guest of Governor Shulze on a journey through Pennsylvania."

"1827 -- Feb. 9 -- First public execution in Lebanon."

"1830 -- Davy Crockett delivered an address in Lebanon."

"1837 -- Ordinance passed in Lebanon, forbidding ascension of balloons with fire attached."

"1847 -- Lebanon County Medical Society formed, antedating both state and national organizations."

"1856 -- Illuminating gas first used in Lebanon."

"1888 -- Steam heat and electric light introduced into the city of Lebanon."

"1890 -- Oct. 7 -- A party of 800, including the most noted metallurgists of England, France, Germany, and Spain with their families inspected the Cornwall Iron Ore Mines."

"1890 -- Oct. 16 -- General Gobin of Gettysburg brought guests including the Comte de Paris, the Duke of Orleans, the Marquis de Leysterie (grandson of Marquis de Lafayette), to Cornwall."

"1895 -- Nov. 19 -- Rev. Anna Howard Shaw, famous woman's rights advocate spoke in Lebanon on "The Fate of Republics.""

"1906 -- Henry Houck of Lebanon elected Secretary of Internal Affairs for Pennsylvania."

"1910 -- Snow in Lebanon Valley during June."

"1913 -- Feb. 10 -- Anti-suffragettes of Pennsylvania led by Mrs. Horace Brock, Lebanon, state president, appeared in the interest of their party, before the State Senate."

"Old residents of the city can remember how private homes gave way to business places, now forming the core of the business district. Speaking of old homes, etc., it might be interesting to note some outstanding Lebanon land-marks, as listed by Attorney Charles D. Weirick in his paper "Lebanon City and County in Brief Sketches.""

"Meadow Bank, just north of Cumberland street, is built on the site of the residence of George Steitz, the founder of Lebanon, it still stands, and is occupied by the Uhler family."

"The first post-office of Lebanon, while it was still a part of Dauphin County, established March 20, 1793, was located at 930 Cumberland street. The Moose Home, 924 Cumberland street, was the first Court House."

"Dr. Alfred Strickler occupies the site mentioned in original town plot as Lot 65 where Jacob Goodhart, the clockmaker, lived and made "grandfather clocks," at 26 N. Ninth street."

"John Philip DeHaas built the house which stood at Ninth and Cumberland streets, later owned by the Gloninger family for more than a century. The site is now occupied by the Colonial Theatre."

"On the site of the American store, N. Ninth street, was the home of Anthony Kelker, and was the first polling place in Lebanon County."

"Philip Greenawalt's home occupied the southwest corner of Ninth and Cumberland streets."

"The present Elks home is the site of the Krause homestead built in 1762 by John Krause. The old homestead was used in David Krause's term as first Prothonotary of Lebanon County with his office in the main front room."

"The American House, built in 1771, stands today. It is situated one-half square from Cumberland street on S. Ninth street. Today the building is unoccupied, but is still in possession of the Kleiser family. It was noted for its good home cooking and as the stopping-place for the country mail-coaches.

"The Whelan Drug Company store now occupies the site of the old Buck Hotel where William Henry Harrison stopped during his presidential campaign.

"Thus the town grew. The old made place for the new -- just as tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow will mark further achievements, progress, and culture for Lebanon."

"Today Lebanon is a large 20th century city with modern industries. Tomorrow her industries, her shops will grow; her people will not lack in the old pioneer qualities of courage, sacrifice, and loyalty."

"Historians record that the Lebanon Valley had a snowfall in June, 1910! Be it said that no snow, no rain, no storm of strife of man or weather will keep the folks of Lebanon and their friends from going their appointed rounds from June 30th to July 5th, in this celebration year which marks the beginning of another century of new frontiers for this city, an integral part of a mighty, united and free nation."

"Thus as history passes in review -- events can be remembered and lessons derived therefrom: past performances of shining glory can be a future inspiration when more pages will be written in the Book called "Lebanon."

 

Return To Top